I am a teacher. That means June is busy, hectic and somewhat stressful at the best of times. This year is no exception. In fact, the stress and the business is multiplied a hundred fold as my husband and I will be relocating to Vancouver Island, BC. We are busy packing, cleaning, purging, etc etc etc. He leaves this Saturday. Soooooooooooo, what do I do? I decide that this is a good time to take on the Index Card a Day challenge put on by daisyyellowart.com . Not only do the challenge but do blog posts and/or videos. Someone asked ” are you crazy” , but the way I see it, when I’m creating, I’m in my happy place. Doing art balances me and makes me feel better. So in taking this challenge I feel I am ensuring that I will keep doing art while the life around me spins.
I started this ICAD by taking an old pattern and crumpling it up and then gluing with Mod Podge Matt to my ” index card” (a deck of flashcards I decided to upcycle) . I repeated the process to get another layer. Since the numbers could still be seen through the pattern paper I applied a layer of white gesso.
While this was drying I stamped out the sentiment and focal point with StazOn black ink onto delli paper. I was undecided at this time what I was actually going to do. What I don’t use now I will save for another ICAD .
I picked out several colors of Inktense blocks and scribbled them lightest to darkest on the card. I then sprayed with water and activated and blended the colors with my fingers. I added more color until I was happy with it.
I then cut out my stamped images and sentiment. Notice that I chose not to use the sentiment exactly as it was. Make the most of your stamps and edit them as you need. Take bits and pieces from one stamp set and combine with others.
While I was arranging the image and sentiment I decided to take my Dylusions paint in color Pomegranate Seed and using the blending tool rub the color lightly over the high spots that the crumpled pattern paper created. Then I used Artist Loft Bronze to lightly go over top of that to add some shimmer.
Here’s a close up of the lovliness this created. Yummmmmy.
Now I adhered the image and sentiment with Gel Matt Medium and dried it
I decide to use the Dylusions paint to color the flowers and Inktense blocks to color the leaves and stem. This turned out too dark and I lost the linework.I used the Pilot Permaball black pen to go over the words and try to put some of the linework back.
I attempted to add some detail by using my Stabilo All Pencil, but that didn’t make it better. I then used my white Uni ball Signo pen and outlined the flowers, stems and leaves. ( oops no picture). I did not like this any better so knowing that the Uniball Signo pen was not permanent I took it off with a baby wipe. I noticed that the baby wipe took off some of the Dylusions dark burgundy paint so I rubbed a little harder and lightened the flowers. Okay, now I was happy with how it looked. I painted over the words with Inktense blocks the same color as what was underneath it. This helped blend the deli paper into the card so it didn’t stand out so much. The last thing I did was use Stickles in the middle of each flower and outline the card with Stickle dots.
VISIT MY AMAZON STORE
I’ve done the work for you and organized my store by categories. Everything I chose is CreativeKady approved- I either own it OR want to own it.
Inktense Blocks 36- http://amzn.to/2b3MB7l
Inktense Blocks 72 – http://amzn.to/2aU3mnK
Gold Paint- http://amzn.to/2cfMGUm
Dylusions Paint Pomegranate Seed http://amzn.to/2cMnx3F