Click on this link to see the Try It Tuesday Prompt Stick Challenge video
The prompts for Try It Tuesday #10 were as follows:
1. Use ceremcoat acrylics- really any acrylic will do
2. Use a napkin- this will give texture or pattern
3. Use a background stamps
4. Use a fairy tale or mythological theme
5. Use the salt technique
6. Use a font that you have never used before
Immediately upon pulling these prompts my mind settled on using my brand new “Aurora” Julie Nutting stamp from Prima. To create the background, I decided that I would use the underpart of a napkin from my stash. I then took my script stamp and stamped all over it. I then adhered it to my page using Mod Podge Matt. Be sure to check out the lovely texture this gave the page in the pictures I posted at the end of the blog.
To learn more about how to use the salt technique using a variety of mediums go to my Youtube video here;
I chose to use my Lindy’s Startburst Sprays for the background . I chose several colors that were rich and luxurious: purple, teal, dark blue. I wanted a royal looking background with shimmer. I sprayed a lot so the page was very wet. You can see this in the picture below.
I sprinkled the page with coarse sea salt. Any kind of salt will work, but I chose the coarser granules to get a bigger effect. I used the heat tool for awhile, then set it aside to dry.
While it was drying I decided that I was going to start paper piecing my Prima doll. I looked through my stash, but could not find anything I liked. So, I dug out my GelliArts gelli plate and played with my ceremcoat acrylics. Of course I used things with shimmer and iridescence as that seems to go with the fairy tale theme.
I stamped the Aurora doll onto dictionary paper and various parts of the dress onto the gelli prints you see above. I glued them into place using Mod Podge Matt.
I grabbed a couple colors of my Inktense blocks and painted the skin. I used ceremcoat paint to paint the gloves, hair and crown. Satisfied with the look I cut out the doll.
I found some tulle with gold flecks in it and decided to cut it out and glued it to the top flounce of the dress with spray adhesive . Later I added a second layer. The pictures don’t do this addition justice. I cut out one of the flecks and glued it to the doll as bling. I put Stickles on the crown. I also outlined the doll and the detail lines with my gold Gelli Roll pen.
I had searched on Pinterest for a suitable quote. Since one of the prompts was using a new font I went to http://www.dafont.com/ and looked for new fonts to add to my Word Program. I wanted to find fonts similar to those I see used on purchased sentiment stamps. I was very successful. The names of the two fonts I used to type out this quote are 1) Olympic Branding 2) A Year Without Rain. I did a trial print out using a couple different sizes. When I was happy I printed it out onto delli paper using my printer. See how to do this in this YouTube video.
I ripped out the quote and played around with the arrangement. I take pictures of possible arrangements to help me decide what looks better.I sprayed my background with Krylon fixative so I wouldn’t reactivate the sprays I used when I glued things down. I glued down the doll and the quote with Liquitex Matte Medium.
For some reason the delli paper didn’t go completely translucent so I ended up painting over top of the words with the same sprays I used on the background. Oops. Forgot to mention that I got out my script stamp and stamped with gold acrylic randomly on the background. Got to have more bling. This made the words fade so I decided to outline and go over the words with my gold Gelly Roll pen. I used my Stabilo All Pencil to outline/shade the doll. I used my black gelato to edge the page.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. I also hope you will join me in my Facebook Group “All Things Mixed Media:CreativeKady” Come take the challenge . Come join the “creationship”.