As part of Special Interest Groups at our school this year I am teaching a group of Grade 6,7 and 8 students how to do mixed media and art journaling. I thought since I would be getting back to the basics that I would also do a series of articles and YouTube videos for those wanting to get back to the basics or those just starting out.
My hope is that along with creating a page you can be proud of, you will learn a wide variety of techniques that you can use in your upcoming mixed media or art journaling projects. In order to keep costs to a minimum I am limiting my supplies to items I can pick up at our local dollar store, thrift shop or Walmart. We will also be using a lot of DIY stamps and craft hacks. Here’s the link to my Craft Hack playlist on YouTube if you want to learn how to save your art dollars.
- Mod Podge Matte
- white gesso- Walmart brand- does not have to be expensive artist grade-regular is fine
- charcoal pencil
- spray bottle with water
- assorted sizes paintbrushes
- stylus/ nut pick would work
- re-purposed children’s book or other book – tape all pages in the middle to hold together and prevent leakage- OR
- get a pamphlet from paint section of hardware store OR
- buy mixed media journal or some heavier weight journal
- dollar store or other brand craft acrylic paint – get the colors you like plus silver, gold, black and white
- makeup sponges
- baby wipes
- paper towel
- meat tray or plastic lid for paint palette
- stencil- any size, it doesn’t have to be large – this was a set from Walmart for under $7 OR
- black permanent marker/liner pen/gel pens
- old credit card/gift card/hotel key card
- wall compound/ modelling paste/texture paste
- heat tool or hair dryer
- homemade stamps – click on link to see YouTube videos showing how to make these https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNXQGmi4StxDthHzKXiDeDAxL9gzf_eeK
I just created a Facebook Group so there is a place to share what you create and can develop “creationships” with others on this creative journey. The group is called CreativeKady: All Things Mixed Media. Hope to see you there.
Here’s the link to the first page
Any questions? Send it to me. Not a follower, then click on this link and sign up to be sure to get notification of the first art journal tutorial in the Back To Basics Series.
Okay, that should do it. Now go get your supplies all together so you will be ready when the YouTube Video and blog article come out .
See you soon….CreativeKady/Karen